Three public drainage ditches established under Minnesota Statutes Chapter 103E are located within this subwatershed (see Figure 10). The purpose of the ditches was likely to drain wetlands to provide additional land for agriculture and development. These ditches have been converted to stormsewer and no longer provide that function today.
County Ditch #14
This ditch in St. Louis Park and Minneapolis was established prior to 1908 and originally connected a wetland northwest of Bass Lake to Bass Lake. It then outletted Bass Lake to the east and flowed to the southwest corner Lake Calhoun. It has largely been converted to storm sewer, but a portion of the ditch through the Minnekahda Golf Course remains an open channel along a similar alignment to the original. The area previously served by the ditch is now served by stormsewer, and the ditch no longer serves its original purpose.
County Ditch #17
County Ditch #17 was established in 1908 and was intended to drain a large wetland complex in St. Louis Park, Minneapolis, and Edina. The alignment extends from what is now the intersection of Morningside and Browndale to the outlet at Lake Calhoun around
37th Street. It has been entirely converted to storm sewer that does not follow the exact path of the ditch but generally receives drainage form the same area. These storm sewers were intercepted and diverted into the stormwater ponds constructed by the MCWD as part of the Southwest Lake Calhoun Ponds project. The area previously served by the ditch is now served by storm sewer, and the ditch no longer serves its original purpose.
County Ditch #29
This ditch in St. Louis Park begins at about Minnetonka Boulevard and Highway 100 and runs east to its terminus near the railroad tracks. The ditch has been completely converted to storm sewer which is for the most part located in the alignment of the former ditch. The area previously served by the ditch is now served by storm sewer, and the ditch no longer serves its original purpose.